Saturday, November 29, 2008

Completed All Treatments

Hi folks! Assalamualaikum,

First of all, I apologise for not updating this blog for quite sometime. Some friends have texting me wondering how I have been doing. Well, I am fine and thank you very much for being so concern.

I have just completed my chemo and radiotheraphy on the 21sts Nov. It has been about a week now post treatment. On that friday (my last treatment day), as usual I went to the Mt Miriam Hospital in the morning to be nuked. After the session ended, I was instructed to see the oncologist, Dr Rakesh Raman. Then it got me a little worried. What if he add more zaps? I really felt like I could not go on with the treatments anymore. Both of my cheeks and my neck area have turned dark. Its even darker than the normal sunburn. The mouth sores are getting worse and painful. And the phlegm...urgh!! I can hardly finish my milk without using tons of tissue because whenever I drink the phlegm will sort of interrupt a smooth flow of milk into my throat and this causes me to really cough and spill the milk all over myself.

Actually, on the day before (thursday) there was this lady who was happily telling everybody that it was going to be her last radiation. However, after being checked up by the oncologist, she was told to go for 5 more zaps of radiotheraphy. She was so disappointed. I was kind of worried that he might decide to give me more nukes. However, my worries had been unfounded. When he checked me, he said that I am doing just fine there would be no more zap. I have completed 30 sessions altogether. He checked my neck area and inside the mouth and he said I am ok now. I was so relieved.

Then, after coming back to the hospital, I continued with the last chemo. My husband came early on that day. After another 7 hours of chemo, everything was over. I straightaway asked to be discharged. I could not bear to stay there even for another minute. So, I came straight home right after that.

For a few days after the treatments, I felt quite weak and slept most of the time. However, I forced myself to take the morning brisk walk around the field in front of my house. I was told that the best time to exercise is between 6 to 7 am because that is the time where the oxygen content of the air is the most and pollution free. Its very important to supply as much oxygen as possible to the body especially cancer patients because cancer cells cannot survive in oxygenated environment. So, I managed to brisk walk 4 rounds every morning for in the past few days. Now, I feel a lot fresher and stronger. Thank god. Alhamdulillah.

Btw, my appetite is still lousy. I am still surviving on ensure milk, fruit juices and honey. I think I have forgotten how to eat. Got to relearn when the time comes for me to eat again...ha ha

Bye, for now. Life is great.


"Life is too short, but intend to grow old gracefully"


mamayati said...

Salam, Sharifah,
Salam perkenalan.
Actually I have been wanting to pay you a visit when, at one time you mentioned that you were going to stay at Balik Pulau hospital during your chemotherapy session..Tak palah, may be next time.
Been following your blog.Wishing you a speedy recovery from your radiation side effects.

Well wishes,

Sharifah Rashidah bt. Syed Ahmad said...

Salam Yati,
Thank you for following my blog and your kind thoughts.

Hope we can meet someday....