Friday, June 20, 2008

Level 6

Assalamualaikum everyone.

I stayed in the ICU for one and a half days. During my stay there, I was aware of my family and relatives who came to visit. I was also aware that many of them were in tears and shocked the minute they saw me. However, I was too weak to respond. I was like drifting in and out of the dreamland. Then, the doctor came and informed me that I was doing alright and I would be pushed to the ward on level 6 right in front of the nurses' station so that they could monitor my progress. Ok, here we go!

As soon as I reached ward 6A, I saw so many familiar faces besides my family. Then, I realised that they were actually my colleagues and they were all in tears. I was wondering why. I tried to smile at them to express my gratitude for their visit. Much later, I found out that I really looked horrible because my face and neck were so swollen and I had various tubes on me! People who saw me at that time thought that I was really in pain. Here, I would like to tell everybody that I have never been in pain at all after the big operation.

I was fed with "ensure milk" through the NG (nasogastro.... not sure of the spelling) tube which was inserted through the nose every three hours. I also had an IV (intraveneous) line fixed through which blood, saline solution and various medication were transfused into the bloodstream. Thanks for modern medication because I did not experience any pain. Can you imagine being injected everytime they needed to get anything inside your body? I had that for about 2 weeks. Day after day, these tubes were taken out one by one. This enabled me to move around with ease.

During my stay in ward 6A, I enjoyed having visitors everyday. Unfortunately, I could not speak at all. I had to talk through my laptop, typing away questions and answers. Good thing that I am a fast typist. On May 1st, which was a labor day, I had the most number of visitors. One of the visitors was my Pengetua. I was really touched by her visit. The rest were my colleagues, my fellow Etems JUs, my Perdagangan team, my relatives and friends. Thanks everyone for taking your time to visit me. That really kept me going.

Cikgu Fauzi, my good friend, came near and started typing something on his handphone. He was trying to wish me luck. Then, I had to point out to him that I was not deaf. I just could not speak! He laughed about it.


"Life is too short"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I always inspired by you, your thoughts and attitude, again, appreciate for this nice post.

- Joe