Monday, September 01, 2008

Passing Time in the Hospital

Salam to all:

When I had the first operation, I was not given any sedative before going to the operation theatre. So, I was conscious when I entered the OT. Upon realising what they were going to do to me, I started saying the shahadah. However, this time, its different. I was asked to take a pill which was supposed to calm me down. I was not told about how powerful the pill was. All I remember was that I was wheeled to the OT and I was waving my good byes to my family. When the door closed, I saw my mother in tears and then, I was out. Darkness. The next thing I remember was the ICU and the voices of my husband, my parents, my aunts and uncles, my brother, Rofli and wife, Zah and the whirring of all sorts of machines. Then, I counted my blessing for coming out of the OT alive. I did not get to say the shahadah before I blacked out!

It has been slightly over 2 weeks after the operation and I am still in the hospital. The doctor is still waiting for the lab report on the tissue that they removed. The lab report is needed before discussing my follow up treatment plan with the oncologist. I don't really mind being in the hospital because I have my blog and some books sent by Hizzad to keep me occupied. I got the books last friday, I have finished reading two: The Kite Runner by Khaled Houseini and Nadia's Song by Soheir Khasoggi.

The Kite Runner is an interesting story, about culture and life in Kabul, the hardship of majority of the people and the prosperity of the minority. It also centers around the dilemma and the guilt consuming the main characters (father and son).

Nadia's song is about the tragic life of a singer, Karima Ahmad, who was well-known throughout the Arab world specifically Egypt. Her life was intertwined with forbidden love, hardship, triump and tribulations. She lost her two year old daughter in a Hotel fire during her concert. Little did she know that her daughter was actually found by a childless couple who fell instantly in love with the lovely child and adopted her. Mother and daughter found each other eventually and realised how much they cared and loved each other. The story took a turn when Karima died in a hotel room and it was said that she died for taking sleeping pills and alcohol. This, her daughter would not accept and at the risk of her life, she strived to find out the real reason behind her mother's death and her findings startled her...

Now, I am on to the next novel, The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. Whether the book is interesting or otherwise remains to be seen. I should be able to update you before I leave the hospital.

Who said hospital stay is horrible, huh?? Thank you so much, Hizzad.

By the way, I have perfected my swallowing technique. Now, I can finish 2 glasses of milk twice as fast as before. Just put the glass on your lips, tilt your head a bit, let the liquid flow into your mouth and use your breathing and your throat muscle to control the flow into your throat. Voila, you've got it made!

To my muslim brothers and sisters: Selamat Menyambut Ramadhan and Selamat Berpuasa.

May Allah bless us all.

Bye, for now.

Sharifah

"Life is too short"

No comments: